The first step in creating a Hub is to determine which of the banded sections are appropriate for your division. Once your division has decided which sections to utilize, your project manager will set up your Hub instance on the platform. The sections and their components are listed below.
Section 1: Cover - The cover section is the opening section of your Hub. It is the only section which can not be discarded. It consists of the following components.
- Cover image - The cover image is the background image for section one.
- Logo - Your organization's logo will appear in the top center space of the cover section. We recommend that you use a vectored, high-resolution image and that the image not be wider than 400px and no taller than 250px. The ideal size is 150x150.
- Hub Title - There are no size or spacing limits for the title. The only requirement is that the title be unique (i.e. not the same as another Hub on #GoOpenVA.)
- Tagline - Your tagline is a brief (280 characters or less) description of your community.
- Search - This search tool allows users to search hub collections and groups for content.
- Navigation - this navigation bar directs user to sections on the hub landing page
- Hub Settings - This is the access point for the Hub admin panel. Only designated hub administrators will have access to this page. You can manage your hub settings and content through this link.
Section 2: About - This is the place for a fuller description of your objective with the Hub. There is no character limit for this section, and it uses a full markup language so hyperlinks and simple formatting options available. We recommend using this space to tell users more about your division's goals.
Section 3: News - The news section can be either active or removed. You can manage the content of the news section from the Announcement section of the Hub admin panel.
Section 4: Social Media - Add a link to your organization’s twitter feed.
Section 5: Resource Collections - Collections are sets of resources compiled by either the #GoOpenVA librarians or by designated group members in your Hub network. Collections can be organized into sections with titles and descriptions, and each collection has a cover image, description, and associated metadata.
- Collection Set title - each set of collections can have a unique title.
- Set description - Add a description to your collection set so that users know what to expect from your collections.
- Collections - Each collection is displayed with cover images and titles.
- Collection cover image - Collection cover images appear on the Hub Landing page as well as the top of the collection.
- Collection title - Each collection has a title. We recommend creating a descriptive title so that users understand the type of content they can expect inside the collection.
- The number of resources - This display shows the number of resources found within the collection.
Section 4: Groups - Groups are a workspace for managing resources and discussing content. Each group has its own landing page, a title, a logo, and a set of members in various roles. More details about organizing groups can be found below in the “Managing Groups" session.
- Group Set title - Set of groups can have a unique title.
- Set description - Add a description to your group set so that users know what to expect.
- Group - Each group is displayed with a logo and title.
- Group logo - Groups can upload their cover image on their group admin settings.
- Group title - Each group has a title. We recommend creating a descriptive title so that users understand the type of content they can expect from each group.
Section 5: Tools - Tools are links to OER Tools and custom features created for the Hub. Examples of possible tools are Toolkits, Custom Open Author templates, Endorsement feature, or Badges.